13 May 2012

twenty-two : personal

Twenty-two years ago, I wished for a sister. I got a brother instead. 

We took you home to stay on Mother's Day and Mom always said that that day was one of the best of her life: our family was complete. Husband, daughter, son. Four. The ever-fabulous four.

I tried as hard as I could, dressing you in bows and pink frilly things meant for my playtime dolls, but you were still all boy. Mom said you'd get me back someday and you did. A lot. She always reminded us that we should never go to bed angry at each other, that someday, all we would have would be each other. At the time, I was totally bummed because I never would get that sister I had hoped for. But now? I'm completely thankful every day you turned out to be you instead. 

Even if I was (and still am!) the big sis, you've always amazed me with your ability to include me and really, look out for me. When I was too scaredy cat to sleep downstairs alone, you said it was okay for me to sleep on the bottom bunk upstairs in your room. We played together, made silly games out of pushing Danny down the metal slide on the swing set and rode bikes together (only to the fire hydrant and back!). You always included me in your birthday party guest list and thanked me during high school plays and coronations. 

There's no one else I'd rather walk through this journey with than you - no one I'd rather turn to for a comedic remark, an encouraging text, a "you got this, Syd." Our support of each other's dreams pushes us to be the best we can be.


Your dreams are coming true. You're totally making it and taking the world by storm. From your athletic prowess to your dedication to fitness to your political arguments to your sportswriting skills, you've got what it takes to make things happen. Watching you grow from a little dude who only wanted to wear matching sweat suits with dinosaur light-up shoes to a pre-teen in the cutest wire-rimmed glasses you ever saw (Harry Potter, eat your heart out) to this high school athlete who suddenly was a foot taller than me and had to put his head on my head when he hugged me has been one of the greatest blessings of my life.


Our parents taught us to persevere through challenges, to walk the walk and live out our faith daily. There have been several times in our lives when these lessons came in handy and none more evident than last fall. You faced one of the hardest challenges you'll probably ever face and you did it with this grace that only God could have given you. You witnessed to your friends, to your classmates, to people who didn't even know you... to us. I know Ricky is so proud of you, buddy. You've honored him in the way you've continued to succeed, to push through the challenges and to now graduate with honors. There's not a doubt in my mind that he'll continue to be watching you, reminding you to stay strong and probably have a little fun once in a while too.

I realize this post is a few days late, but you've always on my heart and in my mind. I am so proud of this grown up man you've become and I can't wait to see where the rest of your journey leads you. 

Go big or go home. Thanks for putting the A in awesome and remember that your big-little sis always loves you.

xoxo,
syd.
sydnee@sydneebickett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment